Wednesday, 20 March 2013
i have now finished the armature for "Charlotte". i have made this one a bit shorter than the armature for "Craig" as she will be younger and it was a kind of test to see how small i could make them, i think i could go a lot smaller and thinner.
here is a new design of how "Charlotte" will look.
i thought i would share how i attach my puppets to the surface of where i am animating them. these pics are of the new armature ready for sculpting, but the magnet is so strong it will work through the flooring and attract the steel toe.
i have now received the steel ball bearings so i could get underway with the eyes and stop them from falling out when i remove the lower half of the face.
first of all i made a mould of the two new bearings, each with a small stick glued to them, this will make the pour hole. this mould will ensure i have an exact replica of the bearings when it comes to moulding them.
after cutting a bearing in half i placed one half in the bottom of the mould and poured liquid plastic into the hole that the stick made. this is what came out, half a bearing capped with plastic.
i remoulded the silicone eye socket and cast it in plastic, this allowed me to drill out a section just big enough to push the ring magnets into.
the eyes sit nicely on top of the magnets.
i just need to drill into the plastic bit and paint a iris/pupil and the eyes will be done.
Tuesday, 19 March 2013
Friday, 15 March 2013
ok so i have finally got round to clothing 'Craig'. i did have a bit of a problem with finding the right kind of denim for the jeans. in the end i went to George in Asda and bought some really cheap kids jeggings that are more cotton and have a lot of elasticity. once the jeans were on i carried on with the t-shirt. unfortunately i had a little problem in, i didnt give the tee enough material to get around his belly!
i gave it a little trim, he looks like a guns and roses fan here.
i thought, this mistake is not all that bad really. my sewing skills have got much better so i thought i would jazz up his look and add another colour to his tee.
at this stage i am really happy with the way hes looking, i have been thinking about his eyes and how they're going to stay in the sockets when i remove the mouth section. i have a few bits on order so i will post my process when they arrive.
things are coming along nicely, the other armature is nearly done, possible finished by end of sunday, so i will be able to sculpt that. once again i have been thinking about designs so things will change regarding 'Craig's' sister 'Charlotte'.
Friday, 1 March 2013
i was not feeling the other t-shirt, i thought black was not the colour to go with as the rest of the film will be lovely bright colours. instead i have gone for a red and white long sleeve t-shirt. i found it much easier to do this time, i guess you could call the other tee a practice and refining of my skills, this took me from the afternoon to the evening to make so not quite as long as before.
so again i started off by cutting the shape for the body and cutting out the neck hole. i then sewed a red trim around the neck and hemmed up the bottom of the white tee. it was a lot easier to sew this material because its a really good quality, old Fat Face uniform becoming handy.
after hemming the sleeves by the wrist i then started sewing them on. at this stage everything is being sewed inside out to create a nice smooth seam.
check the sleeves have enough length.
this is where it starts to get rather fiddley, you need to sew a seam joining the two half's together, making sure its neat. i suggest practicing this part first otherwise it could be a waste of time and materials if you have to keep redoing it.
the finished seam, in the picture it looks quite big, i think thats due to the light.
so one sleeve done, you can't even see the seam from the front and it does not restrict the puppet in anyway. i very happy with how its turned out, i will try get the other sleeve finished along with the body tomorrow. then i need to make some jeans for him!!